HIGH SCHOOL READINESS
AACA strives to ensure that both parents and students are well-informed about the many options for high school education that exist within the city of Chicago and nearby suburbs.
Historically, about 60 percent of our students attend Catholic high schools, including St. Ignatius College Prep, Loyola Academy, DePaul College Prep, and a variety of other schools. The remaining 40 percent primarily attend Chicago public selective enrollment, magnet, and IB schools, as well as some other private schools. Over the past several years, 97 percent of students were accepted into their first or second choice high school.
Our program of instruction and high school readiness support focuses on early exposure for parents and students to these options as well as ways in which to begin fact-finding about schools of interest.
AACA also provides a planned program of student support to guide their decision-making process as they select high schools to explore. While AACA first and foremost supports Catholic high schools and actively promotes these; public, private, and charter school options are also shared with families to encourage a full range of exploration of schools to find the right fit for individual students and families.
3 KEY COMPONENTS OF OUR HIGH SCHOOL READINESS PROGRAM
- Taking Personal Stock: This high school process is first and foremost parent- and student-driven. Parent and student high school data collection and decision-making should be based on many criteria - student's academics, social setting, finances, location, student's interests, etc.
- Academic Readiness: Classroom academic development and preparation of students for high school. (entrance exam preparation, time management/executive functioning, curriculum development, test scores/grades)
- AACA Support - High School Specialist to help guide parents and students through the process (application assistance, scheduling shadow dates, family meetings, etc.).
ALPHONSUS ACADEMY & CENTER FOR THE ARTS CLASS OF 2018